Category Archives: Painting

Wish me luck !!

I’m (im)famous for losing interest fast and changing between projects before they are completed. I have been like that my entire “wargames career” but thank God, I’m not like that in normal life! 🙂

This time however I am determined to finish a project: the DAK and 8th Army in 28mm. I already have about one Bolt Action platoon of Germans and one of Brits that are fully painted and based. The plan is to add two more German, one British, one Australian and one Indian Army platoon to that together with a load of vehicles and tanks for both sides.

I already assembled all the figures and have put basing material on their bases, the Australians are even primed and mounted on painting stands already. There’s 36 of them in front of me on my painting table right now begging to be painted. So wish me luck, I’m going in! 🙂

Northern Host for GoT

It’s been awhile since my last post but that doesn’t mean I was idle! I have finished the infantry part of my Game of Thrones Northern host as you see in the pictures and have made a start on my Westerlands (Lannister) host.

After that there will be Tully’s, Aryn’s, Greyjoy’s, Freys, Boltons, Clegane’s, Baratheon’s and perhaps Tyrell’s on the painting table if I can find decals for them.  I got the others covered but decals for Tyrells are proven to be illusive so far. I tried printing my own but the detail just is not good enough, the ink keeps “bleeding” and that messes up the detail.  The decals for the knights of the minor Northern houses are printed on good quality sticker paper, pasted on their shields and then painted over. Up close you can see the thickness of the stickerpaper (see pic of the knight with the red shield) but from a distance it is not noticeable anymore.  I could do the same for the Tyrells if my quest for decals fails, we’ll see.

When the infantry is done mounted knights, archers and men at arms are up but that may still be some ways off.

The great thing about having troops of every faction – major and minor houses – is that I will be able to do a Westeros campaign with every player at the head of a noble house. That means shifting alliances, betrayal and rebellion just as in the “real” Game of Thrones!

I based these troops individual for use in for instance “Lion Rampant” but I also made movement trays for them so that I can also use them in rulesets that require blocks of infantry.

Let me know what you think, I paint more and faster when properly motivated! 🙂


Saracens !

I finally made a start  painting my (large) Crusader armies. In all fairness, I had the horses painted by my painters at MMPS when they still were working for me and that made all the difference. I really hate painting large numbers of horses so I always had this project on hold  as Crusader and Saracen armies contain large numbers of cavalry of course.  Can’t use this as an excuse anymore so here we go. 🙂

It’s a basic paint job with a Vallejo Soft Tone wash and Little Big Men decals and I KNOW, these Saracens are not historically correct but I can’t be bothered by that.  I want large numbers of them on my table and I want them fast so this is how it has to be.

Winter is Coming

I finally found my painting mojo back and have been very, very productive in the last 4 weeks or so. Not only did I paint a big chunk of my Crusades Saracen Cavalry (more in next post) but also a load of Northern infantry for my Game of Thrones armies.

No fancy painting, just basic colors with a wash of Vallejo Soft tone and Schildschmie decals (see bookmarks page).  I want these on the table in THIS lifetime so I have to stop spending hours painting ONE figure.  Mass production at a good enough tabletop standard is my new mantra! 🙂

For my Stark and Northern banner men I mainly used Gripping Beast Anglo-Saxons and Vikings but with Fireforge medieval shields instead of the round shields that these originally came with. I also have some Fireforge foot sergeants in the mix.

Karstark, Hornwood and Manderly  banner men contingents.  I am going to do units of 12 figures but   I ran out of decals so they  are all a few figures short. I’ll get them at full strength eventually.