Finished building a motte and bailey for someone who will not be named as his wife can’t know just yet :-). I kept it simple; no drawbridges, no small bushes and trees so basic ground covering etc to keep the cost down. I’m not a slow builder but it still took me about 30 hours to build this. Almost 2 days work went into cutting and placing the 800 BBQ sticks needed to build the palisade. Building and painting the buildings and especially crafting their roofs out of air-drying clay also took quite some time.
We catch the Norman knight, lord of this motte and bailey at the moment that he leads his few mounted men out against the band of marauders that are attacking his home while his small garrison of archers and crossbowmen keep them in cover.
Everything on these 10 (85cm x 60cm) boards was either scratchbuilt or 3D printed. It took over 250 hours to get it all done but I think it was worth it.
The boards are 6mm MDF with a layer of 4cm styrofoam on top. The contours of the terrain were then sculpted in Sculpta Mold and covered with a layer of plaster bandages for strenght. It then took an incredible amount of static grass, patience and real dirt from my garden to cover it all. The palissades are BBQ sticks, cut to size, sharpened at one end and then put in place one by one. The stream and the river are poured resin with Mod Podge gloss waves painted on. The castle, jetty, stable and bridges were made out of balsa wood, XPS foam and/or Foam Core. The various animals, the well, the archery targets and the boat were 3D printed. The tree is handmade with the twisted wires method. The outer sides of the boards are protected a by 2.5mm hardwood border.
I am currently working on a 20mm Vietnam Project. This is something I wanted to do for a long time already but never had the time for.
I spent the last two days building terrain and building for it. The dark brown hooches in the pictures I designed on the PC, 3D printed them and then put them on a balsa wood platform. The ammo/fuel dump and AA pit are resin models that I simply put on a scenic base and the bunker is also a 3D printed model that I “dug in” on a scenic base. I still need to paint the fuel barrels and ammo boxes of the dump but you get the idea already.
The terrain pieces are plastic aquarium plants on 2.5mm MDF bases that were lasercut with my lasercutter.
I already built a nice collection of helicopter, APC’s and attack aircraft and I will show pictures of those later.