Now that I am really retired I will have the time to do some serious WW2 gaming. I collected large 20mm armies (German – Canadian – Russian, pics later) and went way over the top in 28mm Warlord Games Bolt Action.
I had my painters at MMPS paint “large numbers” of Russians, early and late war Germans, British infantry, BEF, French, American Infantry and Airborne, British Paras and Commando’s, Fallschirmjaeger. These are all painted but I still need to shade and base them.
I also have unpainted US Marines and a ton of Imperial Japanese sitting on my painting table but almost 5 years of running a painting service have seriously ruined the “paint it yourself” bit for me. I guess I need to take a long break from painting before I get stuck in with these.
What I managed to finish (just shading the flesh and basing) are my Russians. They are not spectacular, just tabletop quality, but I’m happy with them. I was always very skeptical about applying flowers and grass tufts to my bases. To me flowers are girl stuff and do not belong on wargames bases. But I thought what the heck, let’s give it a try and I must say that I like the result. There will be probably more flowers and tufts in my future. 🙂
Anyway, here are my first finished Bolt Action (and Chain of Command, and Rapid Fire, and Battlegroup and whatever other rule set that I will use them for) Russians. Let me know in the comments what you think of them and do please motivate me to get the rest of my WW2 armies finished!