It’s been awhile since I was able to do anything wargames related due to all the work that needed to be done to our house. That kept me busy for the better part of the year but with the end in sight and the wonderful anniversary gift of a 3D printer (actually 2 printers) by my dear wife I’m back in the game! 🙂
I was lucky to discover a kickstarter for 3D print files of Normandy 1944 buildings by a German gentleman named Jens Najewitz. He offers an amazing array of buildings at a very low cost and he is very prolific. He has done a North-African, Normandy, Age of Pirates and now a Wild West kickstarter and of course, I backed them all. 🙂 Consequently my next terrain projects will be a desert board (with 3D printed 8th Army and DAK vehicles and armour to game on it), a pirate board and of course a Wild West board.
The one you are looking at now is a “Band of Brothers – Attack on Carentan” type of board, completely printed from Jens’ 3D Normandy files. It is very loosely based on Carentan as it looked at the time of the assault by the 101st Airborne Division but it is not limited to that; I can use this board also as an early war Belgian or French village, for a Battle of the Bulge setting and much more with a little imagination and the right posters on the walls of the buildings.
I finished the basic layout after I took these pictures. I have a lot of painting to do now but that should go pretty fast with my trusted airbrush. I’ll post some more pictures when there is more to see.
PS. the MP40 hanging on the wall in one of the pics is also a 3D printed model in case you’re wondering. 🙂
My oldest son arrived last week from Belgium, he will stay with us for a year or so and that means that I finally have someone to wargame with. We are going to take advantage of this to lure my two younger stepsons into the wonderful world of wargaming and what is better for that than PIRATES! They don’t care much about historical gaming but pirates spark their imagination.
So I have built a coastal village entirely made out of paper and cardboard buildings, ships and stuff downloaded as PDF from the Wargames Vault (http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php).
I know these models are actually meant to be a medieval village but they work well enough for an English, French, Dutch or even Spanish settlement during the Golden Age of Piracy. And the good thing is that this entire setup has cost me less than $200 US, cardboard and glue included. Try doing that with resin or wood…
I have 3 pirate crews and 1 Navy/pirate hunter crew and have tasked my oldest son to come up with a bunch of fun scenarios and missions. Will let you know how it went in later posts.
It’s been awhile since my last post but that doesn’t mean I was idle! I have finished the infantry part of my Game of Thrones Northern host as you see in the pictures and have made a start on my Westerlands (Lannister) host.
After that there will be Tully’s, Aryn’s, Greyjoy’s, Freys, Boltons, Clegane’s, Baratheon’s and perhaps Tyrell’s on the painting table if I can find decals for them. I got the others covered but decals for Tyrells are proven to be illusive so far. I tried printing my own but the detail just is not good enough, the ink keeps “bleeding” and that messes up the detail. The decals for the knights of the minor Northern houses are printed on good quality sticker paper, pasted on their shields and then painted over. Up close you can see the thickness of the stickerpaper (see pic of the knight with the red shield) but from a distance it is not noticeable anymore. I could do the same for the Tyrells if my quest for decals fails, we’ll see.
When the infantry is done mounted knights, archers and men at arms are up but that may still be some ways off.
The great thing about having troops of every faction – major and minor houses – is that I will be able to do a Westeros campaign with every player at the head of a noble house. That means shifting alliances, betrayal and rebellion just as in the “real” Game of Thrones!
I based these troops individual for use in for instance “Lion Rampant” but I also made movement trays for them so that I can also use them in rulesets that require blocks of infantry.
Let me know what you think, I paint more and faster when properly motivated! 🙂
I finally made a start painting my (large) Crusader armies. In all fairness, I had the horses painted by my painters at MMPS when they still were working for me and that made all the difference. I really hate painting large numbers of horses so I always had this project on hold as Crusader and Saracen armies contain large numbers of cavalry of course. Can’t use this as an excuse anymore so here we go. 🙂
It’s a basic paint job with a Vallejo Soft Tone wash and Little Big Men decals and I KNOW, these Saracens are not historically correct but I can’t be bothered by that. I want large numbers of them on my table and I want them fast so this is how it has to be.
Dudes on camels 🙂
Turcomen, Turcopoles, whatever I feel like using them for.